Eichhornia azurea

My E.azureas have reached the surface of the tank and started growing
emersed leaves - the lovely submerged leaves have turned black and are
falling off.
I guess I missed that part in Kasselmann where she says that the surface
leaves look ugly.

My alternatives are 1: to chop off the top of the plant and plant it in the
hopes that underwater leaves are formed again, or 2: to hope for
(underwater) side shoots off the main stem. or 3: HELP!

Do any of you have experiences with this?

Michael Eckardt