Re: Flower pollination

Flower pollination can be carried out from flower to flower with a q-tip, but
a small paint brush is much more gentle to transfer pollen.  Some flowers are
not self fertile in that the pollen may not ripen at the same time the pistil
is receptive etc. . I would think that  trying a transfer  several times
throughout the flowering period is also more certain.  Some water plants can
be easily pollinated by dipping them into a container of water since the
pollen floats off one and hopefully attaches to the pistils of others in the
multiflowered stalk or where more than one stalk or plant is involved.  Camel
hair brushes are very gentle, but I have used childrens paint brushes to
transfer pollen in many cases. These are cheap and redily available.
Elmer L. Morehouse

Justin writes