Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #672

> All,
>
> I was wondering what the best way to ensure pollination of plant's flowers
> is, as most of our aquariums are a little short on bees to take care of it
> for us.  Specifically, my Apons and an Ozelot sword I recently acquired
> (thanks Sylvia!), as well as a stem plant whose name I can't remember at the
> moment are flowering like mad, and I'm always happy to grow new plants.  My
> initial thought was using a q-tip to rub the pistil and stamen on each
> flower, transferring pollen, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea.  As
> always, all help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin Collins, in sunny Littleton, CO, where the snow is on my back porch
> is _still_ trying to melt.

First would be to find out if your plant is autogamous ( flower gets
pollinated by its own pollen) if it is, a paint brush would do fine or even
a little shake to drop the pollen in there. If not you will need another
plant. Anther thing that can happen is the plant produced daughter clones
along the floral stalk as well. Seeds are a fun project and I think everyone
should at least try sexual reproduction of plants at least once if you have
been in this hobby for a few years. It is rewarding. Aponogetons/lilies etc
are good for this.
Regards,
Tom Barr