Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #668

>> Can anyone give me information about using silicone tubing (100%) to
>>deliver
>> CO2 to the tank? My main concern is wether or not the gas will make the
>> tubing brittle over time, or if there is a significant loss factor thru the
>> tubing (gas permeability)? Thanks for any help.
>

>Jean-Paul Chicheret has written an article, dated Jan. 7, 2000, in which he
>encourages us all to change our silicone tubing, which he says is far too
>permeable ("up to 30%"), for Tygon-brand tubing.

FWIW, Tygon tubing is the standard for use in elevated CO2 greenhouses
where they raise tomatoes tulips and do research on how plants will do a
hundred years from now when the concentration of CO2 is up to 750 ppm.
This is because it's not permeable and not adsorptive.

Doug

Doug Karpa-Wilson
Department of Biology
Indiana University