Re: PMDD

> Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 06:54:33 -0500
> From: Bill Westbrook
>
> Collecting ingredients for Conlin and Sears latest PMDD
> formula, I can't locate hydrated Epsom Salts. Both the
> local Drug Store and Homegrown Hydroponics have
> MgSO4 only. How important is it to use MgSO4+7H2O?

It's importance only extends to dosing. The hydrated form will weigh more on
an equivalent amount of magnesium, that part's obvious from the seven water
molecules. What's not is that those seven molecules double the weight of the
compound, raising it from an atomic weight of 120.4 to 246.5, while dropping
the density from a specific gravity of 2.7 to 1.7 (-37%). So if you're
weighing it out, you get twice the magnesium in a dose using anhydrous, and
if you're measuring by volume (tsp., etc.) you get roughly 60% more. These
values are precise enough for our purposes.

Or you can bypass all of the conversion math by visiting your _grocer_. I
haven't encountered a grocery store, convenience shop, or, in some cases,
gas station without seeing Epsom salts on the shelf. It's also a common bath
additive for soaking out muscle soreness, among other things. Lately,
they've been in waxed paper cartons that look like what we use to buy milk
in...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10 at mindspring_com