spore killing in substrate

I have given up on trying to cure a 75 gallon tank of hair algae.
I can bleach the tank but what can I do to the substrate? I'd like to reuse
it.
FYI, the strain of hair algae I had came from a pond when I brought in a
plant. It was the most energetic algae I've ever experienced. It could
explode and fill the tank entirely if any fertilizer was added. I could twirl
it like spaghetti and it could regrow almost as fast. It loved water changes.
I put a new intake tube on a filter intake and overnight the tube was
covered. The algae would take a footed attachment and had to be scraped and
scrubbed loose, it would not wipe off.
Bruce in NJ