Re: Dead ghost shrimp

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Sylvia wrote:

> Didn't someone mention they began to add iodine to their tank water, because
> it was found these shrimp needed it for long-term survival? Please chime in,
> because I could be way off-base.

I think that would be me.  I use an iodine solution sold for reef tanks.
I used to add a drop/10 gallons once a month but since then I've been
adding it very irregularly - pretty much only when I see a shrimp trying
to molt and not getting it done.  I have individual ghost shrimp that have
lived now for 2 or 3 years.  I don't know how long they may ultimately
last.

> > Most of my ghost shrimps have died. Their shells turned white several days
> >  before they died. They all didn't died at the same time, this occurred over
> >  a 2 month period and there are still a couple that look OK.

I think once they start turning white it's probably too late, but the
regular use of iodine seems to prevent this problem.

Roger Miller