Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #647

I'm a bit behind in my digests but Peter mentioned a malfunctioning heater
that killed all of his plants and fish.

I would strongly recommend to anyone and everyone with a tank of anysize
and importance that they research the heaters that they are using. There
are 2 kinds, the older models operate with a contact that, well, either
makes contact or not to turn the heat on or off. When these fail and stick
in the on position the results are a disaster, I lost a tank of Yucatan
Mollies this way.

The newer post 1980 or so heaters are electronic and have a small circuit
board that controls operation. When these fail they fail off and cause
much less damage. The last time I checked they were available in 50 Watts
or so and up.

       Gerry Skau
       He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends.
       -Oscar Wilde