Re:Flourish Excel and Natural Aquarium Vital

>>Does anyone know exactly what Flourish Excel (by Seachem) is?  How about
Natural Aquarium Vital (by Marc Weiss Product)? Both purport to be ready
sources of carbon for the planted aquarium.<<

Well I would trust Seachem far more than Marc Weiss. Greg Morin of Seachem
described it like this: "simple, low molecular weight organic compound" that
works as I understood it as a photosynthetic intermediate. He defined this
as:
"Photosynthetic intermediates includes compounds such as ribulose
1,5-bisphosphate, 3-phosphogylcerate, 2-carboxy-3-keto-D-arabinitol  1,5
bisphosphate. Although the names are complicated, the structures  are quite
simple (3, 5, & 6 carbon chains). Flourish Excel does not  contain these
specific compounds per se, but one that is quite similar. It is in its
structural similarity that Flourish Excel is able to be utilized in the
carbon chain building process of photosynthesis. Simple chemical or
enzymatic steps can easily convert it to any one of the above named
compounds (or a variety of others). "

Since I know he reads this list, perhaps he will give you more details.

Robert Paul H
http://www.aquabotanic.com
RK Aquaria Plant Forum moderator
http://www.rk2000.com/cgi-bin/plants.cgi