Crinum Thaianum

Hi all

I bought a number of new plants via mail order  for a new 30gal tank a
couple of weeks back.  Most are doing well with the exception of a crinum
thaianum (water onion) bulb which I havent had before.

The bulb looked healthy and white and had about half a dozen leaves approx
3-4" in length.  I buried the bottom  2/3 of the 'onion' in the substrate
(3" of 2mm quartz with laterite & heating cable), seemed logical as it
floated like a cork.  The leaves have now all but died away.  Did I plant it
wrong? Will it grow back?  The Tropica database describes it as
'unpretentious' so I'm a bit miffed.

Wayne