Re: HCl dosing

I just thought I'd add a pretty generalized point to Wright's list of
things that can go wrong at low pH.

The rate of bacterial metabolism is pH sensitive; it typically peaks at pH
over 7 and drops as the pH drops.  Bacteria are pretty key to the function
of most all natural systems so when bacterial metabolism slows down so
does everything else.  Because of that, acid water lakes (pH below 5) are
essentially sterile.

pH near and above 7 provides a healthier living environment for most
things, both tiny and not-so-tiny.

Roger Miller