HCL dosing

I recently purchased some 20% HCL and have been dosing a small amount every
night trying to lower the ph of my tank.  It is a 75g tank with tap water
that is about 8.25 ph, 100+ ppm GH and 120+ ppm KH.  For the past 4 nights
I've added 15-20 drops of HCL to the sump.  Every night I measure the ph
before putting in the HCL and about 2 hours afterwards.  Every evening
before putting in the HCL the ph has been up to or very close to 8.25, but
after adding the HCL the ph drops to about 8.  I'm concerned about dropping
the ph to quickly, but I didn't expect the ph to keep going back up so much.
Am I doing something wrong or is it the buffering of the hard water causing
this?  Should I put in more HCL?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I've been very cautious doing this and so far none of the fish or plants
show any signs of problems.