Blue Green Algae causes

Hi!  I set up my first planted tank three months ago.  It is a 29 gallon with
an Eclipse three hood.  I have a gravel mixed with laterite substrate.
Things went fine for a month or so. Then Blue green algae smothered
everything.  I nuked it with erythromycin and thankfully it died in big
chunks.  It has been a week and a half since the 50 percent water change that
I did to get most of the dead algae. So far no BGA but some kind of white
fluffy stuff growing on a piece of wood that has always been there and a very
little bit of green dot algae.  These do not worry me but I do not want the
BGA back.  I wonder what caused it in the first place.  I used all the
tablets and liquid recommended on packages when I first started.  Did I over
fertilize?  I thought that it might be caused by an excess of iron or
phosphates.  I put some water lettuce in to try to sop up extra nutrients.
It is growing quickly, i.e. put out three babies in a week.  Now I am afraid
to fertilize, what should I do?  I also want to do this plant thing without
C02 because I don't have the money for an expensive set up and I don't
understand how it works very well.  Can I grow plants without C02 injection?
Also in an unrelated question, what do you do to grow those baby Java ferns
that sprout from spores on the leaves? I guess that is all for now.  Thanks,
Teresa.