Metal Halide Lighting over Acrylic

I'm of the understanding that metal halide lights may warp the top of
acrylic tanks.  I'm planning on using 3 250 Watts over a tank that's 6' x 2'
x 30" deep.
The canopy is 7" tall so the lights will be close to the acrylic top.  Even
with cooling fans, would the heat emitted cause any damage to the tank top,
or to the wooden canopy itself? Any feedback would be appreciated before I
invest mucho bucks on a lighting system that is damaging.
Ian Sotto