Nitrate levels

Hi again Chris,

I noticed from you address that you're not corresponding from the
US? If so, then I don't know what kind of water regulations your
area is subject to. The EPA guidelines for drinking water states
that the maximum level for NO3 is 44.3ppm (10ppm N) in the US. If
you're using a private well, you're kinda stuck with it. If it's supplied
municipally, I'd check with them to see what levels the NO3 usually
run. A way to reduce the NO3s, and I've personally never used one,
are de-nitrificators. They are available through many mail-order
catalogs and are simply a long coiled tube used to grow lots of
nitrifying bacteria. They supposedly work in a week or two to drive
high levels down to 5-10ppm. There's also resins (I used lots of
PO4 resins in the past!). They may help easy the levels down. But
you're always ordering resins. Some folks, I believe it was Paul K.
or Tom Barr, said they hardly ever change any water, just top off
the evaporation. This may be a good step for you one day. That
way, the NO3 gets steadily lower until it's in a good range.
Everytime you change 25%, you're going to get another 22.5ppm,
which you may not want. Just a suggestion. Someone else got any
ideas?

Jamie    <"\\\><
Greenwood, SC