Turface & nutrients

After reviewing all the information I could find regarding the use of
Turface MVP as a substrate I find it a very appealling substrate.  I
suppose part of the reason is the potential to change and develop a
planting scheme over time without disturbing laterite or soil into the
water column when making changes.  However, I am not clear on what the
best approach is to adding nutrients when using Turface.  I have seen
references to Jobes Plant Spikes.  Are the plant spikes all that are
required to add?  How often do you add spikes and in what quantity.
What about PMDD?

Jay Reeves
Minneapolis, MN