Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #626

In a message dated 10/23/00 2:02:11 PM Mountain Daylight Time,

> Any one heard of this unit / this method of generating C02 / comments on the
>  harmless Citrate solution..

University and high school labs have done this with acid and calcium
carbonate for some time.  I have had plans on the back burner to build one
with hydrochloric and CaCO3 for some time now.  It is a perfectly acceptable
approach.  The citric acid is safer to use than hydrochloric, but will
require a larger amount to generate the same amount of CO2.  You can probably
buy the chemicals for "recharging" it for less than the manufacturer will be
marketing it through the LFS.  Any acid and any carbonate should work.

I can't make any calls on the safety or toxicity of any citrate compounds.
They should however be fairly close to neutral pH-wise, as they will be
organic salts.

Bob Dixon