Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #622

In a message dated 10/21/00 1:51:30 PM Mountain Daylight Time,

> It should be fungus as you've described. I did not see a white-spot at all
>  at my fishes' fins, they're rotten. If it's a fungus, then how should I
>  fight with it?

There are a number of medications available in the US specifically for
fungus.  Where you are I do not know.  I would listen to the LFS shopkeeper.

>  I talked to my LFS shopkeeper today and he suggested that
>  this is kind of "new-fish syndrome".

Fungus is "opportunistic", which means it is always in the water, waiting for
a fish to become weakened by injury or stress.  Two big forms of stress are
poor water quality and long transits, like from Venezuela to Asia.

>  The fish is weak after having been
>  transfered for a long journey, especially my cardinal tetras which come all
>  the way from Venezuala. Is it true that this species is not widely bred
>  yet?

Cardinals are very difficult to raise from the egg.

> He told me that all the cardinal tetras in Asia are all from the wild
>  and then being exported to Asia, including Thailand!

Probably true.

>  He also says Cardinal
>  Tetras are so cheap in Venezuala, they're loads of them in the wild and
>  they're sold for only one dollar for a bowl fulll of fish!

I have heard that they are as cheap as one US penny per fish at the source in
South America.

>  He suggested me to put some medicine but I don't know what it's called in
>  English. It's yellow dust and make the water very yellow. Would it harm the
>  plants in my tank? Also, would salt suit this cure?

Maybe.  Slowly elevating it until you have about 6ml of salt per liter may
help the fish fight it on their own.  But try the medication the LFS
recommends.

Bob Dixon