DIY yeast CO2

Hi everyone,
I have read back posts on the Mailing list and every one says to use; 1 cup
sugar, 1 tsp. yeast, and 1 tsp. backing soda. My question is, i have 3 liter
bottles. Is that OK? I don't see much of a difference that it would make.
Also, how long does it last? I used 2 cups of sugar before and it stoped
after a week. Is it better to make a sugar/water/baking soda mix, then, when
the co2 stops, dump out a little (1/2?) of the mixture in the bottle and fill
it up with the sugar/water mix? Help me please! I really don't want to pay
$100++ for a CO2 tank, etc. Let me put it this way, I CAN'T pay that much,
I'm only 14 and don't have that much money to begin with. Thanks all.
Erik