Re: R/O unit

In a message dated 10/20/2000 01:11:17 Pacific Daylight Time,

> Last ditch effort is to find a new water supply.  Today I was introduced to
>  reverse osmosis system that would yield 10 gallons a day.  The problem is
> the
>  system costs $500.  This is too expensive for me.

That's a pretty steep price for anyone to pay.  Have you looked in some of
the mail order catalogs?  You can get a 50-60 gpd unit for half that price.
Try going to http://www.thatpetplace.com or http://www.petwhse.com and see
what they have to offer.  The most practical way to use these units is to get
a large storage tank, several hundred gallons if you can find one, and mount
it up high (near the ceiling) on a HEAVY DUTY stand.  Plumb it by installing
a hose faucet down near the bottom of the tank.  Let the R/O unit run day and
night, and plumb it so its contents dump into the holding tank.  When you
need water, attach a hose to the faucet and run it to the tank.  The BIG
disadvantage of these R/O units is cost of operation:  they are very wasteful
of water, discarding many gallons of water for every gallon produced.  This
presents an environmental problem, but may not be unacceptable if you can
route the waste water to a garden for irrigation, etc.