Pennywort

>>>I was at my local Indo-china grocer and low and behold I see a
pennywort
drink in a can. Sugar, water and pennywort. Didn't taste half bad.
Refreshing on a hot day but not something I'll have on hand all the
time:)
I had to try it.
Pearl grass beer might not be far away.
Regards,
Tom Barr  <<<<<

Way back on Oct 2 Al wrote,

>>Hi all, does anyone know the requirements for Hydrocotyle verticillata?
Specifically does it prefer a nutrient rich substrate or does it get most
nutrients from the water column?  Anything you can tell me is appreciated
:)
Al<<

I remembered that back in Jan. I did a search on the web for pennywort
and found a site which recommended using pennywort as a natural nutrient
sponge in wet areas with waste contamination. It said that the pennywort
could be harvested, ground up, and spread on fields as fertilizer. I
couldn't find the site when I looked again this Oct.

But I did find this interesting page: Pennywort "The Arthritis Herb"
http://arthritis.hypermart.net/index.htm and a recipe for "Fresh
Pennywort Drink" at
http://globalgourmet.com/food/special/1999/asian/drink.html and a recipe
for "Pennywort (Gotu-Kola) Salad" at
http://globalgourmet.com/food/special/1999/asian/salad.html. Of course,
it is a different species than the pennywort used in aquariums
(Hydrocotyle or Centella asiatica).

Here in Florida, we have pennywort (Hydrocotyle sp.) growing in our
ditches. It's also a problem in irrigated yards. It's called dollarweed
on pesticide products. I've got some growing in my ditches (along with
Bacoba sp., and what might be Ludwiga sp.)  I've collected some of the
pennywort and the Bacoba and have them growing in my tank. Both look
nice, and do grow under water. The roots of the pennywort are very
shallow. They grow where best where the soil is moist and rich. They
spread by runners, which run just below the surface. The roots and
runners are much lighter than water, so in the tank they have to be
weighed down to keep them from floating to the surface. I've been
thinking about offering some pennywort or bacoba in a trade. Or maybe
I'll just make myself a salad. (I could use some stem plants, anubias,
Java Fern, or KNO3, if anyone's interested.)

There are pictures of Hydrocotyle sp. at the University of Florida,
Center for Aquatic and Invasive Plants website
http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/hydrpic.html.

Jim Newville
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.