Rainwater

Hello
I was wondering if someone would know why rain water makes plants grow much
better than any water that comes out of the garden hose.   I have aquarium
plants growing in ponds out back and when it rains they grow much better,
bigger and faster.   Is there some sort of plant beneficial chemical
reaction that occurs while the water is falling through the air.   I add
CO2 and fertilisers to the ponds but the rain water really gets the plants
going much better that any other waterchange.

Cheers
Dave Wilson
Darwin where it is really starting to get hot and humid.