Re: scuds

       To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
       Subject: scuds
       From: Johnpitselos2000 at cs_com
       Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 21:21:01 EDT

Anyone use scuds *Gammarus* in their tanks?  I know fish love them, and the
borrow in the substrate, aerating it.  But do they harm plants?

Yes they do.  I tried them a long time ago to get rid of a mat of hair
algae (Cladophora).  They did a pretty good job on the Cladophora, but,
when the algae was mostly gone, they started in on the plants and did an
equally good job on them.  I introduced a Betta to get rid of the scuds, or
at least to reduce the population to a low level, and then the Cladophora
came back.

Paul Krombholz, in cool, dry, central Mississippi.