Re: high pH in B'more tapwater

> From: "Max Gallade" <m.gallade at jdneuhaus_com>
> Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:00:56 -0400
> Thanks for all the replies.I  called the water supplier and was told that
> they usually adjust the water with lime to a pH of 7.6~8.4.This is way
> higher than the 7.4 it used to be for years.I keep Discus and breed
> Apistogrammas this really screws me up.The last week I measured the pH like
> Jo between 8.3 and 8.8!

What they have done is dealkalized the water.  They have done you a
favor if you can figure out how to take advantage of the situation!
All the buffering capacity has been removed from the water, which is
now very soft.  You are getting low-grade DI water from your tap, with
an excess of OH- ions and maybe a trace of Ca++.  If you add any
buffer to the water, you can set the pH to whatever you want.  I think
I would try using peat.

Best regards,
Bob