Re: lights

"Wayne Jones" <waj at mnsi_net> wrote:

<snip>
> Why is it then that every time I see a really stunning planted tank picture
> the tank is usually lit with some sort of wide spectrum lamps. I see very
> knowledgable people using things like Tritons or Tritons mixed with cool
> whites or P and A lamps mixed with cool whites, Chroma 50s or T8 950s and
> 965s or MH lamps. There must be some reason that they chose those lamps.
> Some of those lamps really cost a lot of money too. I don't think I have
> seen any really nice tanks that use lamps with a true triphosphor spectrum.
> I would really like to continue to use 850 lamps as they cost such a small
> amount of money but when I addded in some 950 lamps things really actually
> improved. I suppose it could have been a coincidence but who uses true
> triphosphor lamps with great success.

You mean, stunning pictures, or stunning tanks ? There migth be a huge
difference in the way photographic film (or CCD detectors in digital
cameras) interpret the light from a triphosphor bulb, as compared with
the way our eyes interpret it. It could be that the pictures look very
different, but the actual visual appearance of the tanks wouldn't be that
different.

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD