Re: Stargrass suffering under zoo meds

Cavan writes:
> Here's a weird one.  Awhile back, I wired in an
> electronic ballast in my twin tube 36" Perfecto light
> to run two Zoo Med T8S, one 6500k, and one 8500k plant
> grow bulb.  They are VERY bright, especially with
> mylar above them.
> The only one that isn't doing well anymore is my
> Heteranthera zosterifolia.  This plant has always been
> a super fast grower and great trade bait, so I'm very
> concerned about how growth has slowed to a crawl and
> how in some sections, leaves are smallish and
> blackening.  (Don't worry Bailin, I'll still have
> plenty to send you.  After that...?)
> This plant is a real beauty when doing well, and I
> would so much like to get it back to its former
> greatness.
> What could it be about the Zoomeds that benefits the
> other plants so much but hurts the stargrass?  Are
> they actually too bright?

My guess is that they are acting as indicator plants. They now
have much more light (except in the shaded areas, which is
probably more like what they used to have), and are using nutrients
at a tremendous rate. If you don't provide enough, or if other plants
get to it first, they suffer. It's not that the light is too bright, but that
the plants respond so well to the light that they are outgrowing the
available fertilizer.

Just my guess, without knowing your fertilization regimen....

Cathy Hartland
Middletown, MD
http://www.nfis.com/~hartland/aqua/aquaria.html