DIY CO2

I live in a hard water area where CO2 is a necessity in my planted tank. I
use 2 cups sugar and 1 teaspoon yeast. After reading back issues on the
aquatic-plants mailing list, I found out that if you add 1 teaspoon whole
wheat flour, the CO2 will start back up again. I just added 1 teaspoon
regular white flour to my 1 week old mix that is dying out. It started up
again producing 1 bubble every 2-5 sec. If I add 1 teaspoon of flour at the
beginning of the mix, will it have the same result? I need all the help I can
get!
Erik