Re: All-Glass Compact Flo's

Rich, I just put 2 24 inch All Glass compacts over my 30x. They work well, start instantly when the timer turns them on.

The bulbs are made by GE in the UK and are proprietary to the aquarium trade, maybe even only to All Glass.

They are 55 watt 'T' type bulbs from GE's BIAX-L series of lamps, with a 2g11 base (two-Gee-eleven). They are not available to
general distribution in the US, probably not to anyone anywhere except All Glass, so anyone using these is stuck with buying from
All Glass at probably highly inflated profit margins.

However, GE does make a 50 watt version of the bulb with a 2G11 base, as well as lesser wattage's. I do not know if the
spectrum/temperature matches that put out by the 55 watt All Glass bulbs, but the 50 watt version is listed in their catalog as a
high output high spectrum bulb, so they may suffice if All Glass asks too high a price.

The description of the All Glass bulb is F55BX/AR/FS, I do not have a part number.

The description of GE's 50 watt bulb is F50BX/SPX41/RS, part number 20900.

I have not seen or measured these 50 watt bulbs, nor have I found a source for them. Since they have the same base they will fit in
the fixture, I do not know about the length though. Since they should last a year or more, I have not been in a rush to find a
source for them.

Tom