Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #582

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 02:06:16AM -0600, Chuck Gadd wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>
> > I just use a cheap chemical dechlorinator without any problems.  I'm not
> > sure if my water company uses chlorine or chloramine, but I figure I only
> > change 10 - 20% of the water at a time, and the plants will quickly eat any
> > ammonia that might be freed by the thiosulfate. Is this logic flawed
>
> I suspect that your logic is right on, but depending on the growth rate
> of your plants, and the amount of chloramine added to your water at
> any given time, you might end up with excess ammonia.    Our planted tanks
> probably give us more margin for error.

The first time I changed water in my 90g heavily planted (cycled) tank
many years ago I wasn't sure if I had chlorine or chloramine
either. So I treated it with some inexpensive chlorine-only treatment
I picked up at my LFS (I cannot recall the brand). Within an hour of a
30% water change my fish we're showing major stress, and before the
day was over I lost over half of them. To this day I'm not sure
exactly what happened (I am basically chemistry-challenged), but the
problem had something to do with chloramine, which I discovered the
next day is what our water dept. uses in the water. The next water
change I used Amquel, which handles chloramines, and I have been a
satisfied customer ever since.

dan
--
Dan Resler                            email: dresler at vcu_edu
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences