RE: Ethical way to dispose of snails

What ever you do, DO NOT dump them in your local waters.  Let me tell you a
story...My hometown is blessed with a huge spring fed lake.  The water is
crystal clear, a constant 72 degrees, and at one time full of plants.  The
vegetation was so thick that it had to be mowed with a special boat
periodically.  When I was a kid, summers were spent with a mask and snorkel
swimming through this jungle (which is where my interest in aquariums was
born).  It was literally like swimming in a huge Amano tank.  Cabomba,
Ceratopteris, Ludwigia, Sagittaria, Hydrocotyle, and many others were
abundant.  In fact, years ago plants were harvested from the lake and sold
to the aquarium market.  In addition, from our perspective, the plants were
decorated with, Largemouth Bass, Rock Bass, Brim, Bluegills, Cichlids,
Spotted Gar, algae eaters, darters, Sailfin Mollies, Crayfish, turtles,
snakes, etc.  Well, you can probably tell where my story is going.  About
ten years ago an individual threw a handful of Ramshorn snails into the lake
in his own effort to control the "menacing" vegetation.  Today, 99% of the
plants are gone!  I am not exaggerating; the lake is now a desolate
wasteland with a mud and snail carcass bottom.  The plants that are left are
covered in a jelly-like goo, which are snail eggs.  Scientists from nearby
universities worked on the problem.  One solution was to chemically poison
the snails, but the constant inflow of fresh water via the springs made this
option ineffective.  The "solution" they finally came up with was to do
nothing but wait until the snails consumed their food source and killed
themselves.  Of course, at that point the entire lake will be dead
(including the endangered and controversial Fountain Darter, which lives
nowhere else in the world).  There is a lesson for us all here.  Be careful
what you do with your unwanted aquarium plants and animals.  The
introduction of non-indigenous species can have an unimaginable impact on an
ecosystem.

Awry good intentions and a handful of snails have robbed my children of an
experience that I treasured as a child.

As for what to do with your snails-May I suggest a hammer!  (By the way,
Susie you say you get $1 apiece for them?  I've got Ramshorn snails for
sale...thousands of 'um)