Re: Altering tapwater chemistry with peat

Wayne asked about changing his tapwater parameters using peat or RO
technology.

One of the chemists will chime in momentarily about the workings of peat and
other water softening agents. It's my understanding that they replace one
set of ions with another.

But with a pH of 7.4, you are already very close to ideal. Assuming the KH
and GH are close enough to average (it's a wide range) I would inject CO2 to
get the CO2 concentration you want, and then leave the water alone. You will
save yourself a lot of needless expense, work and disappointment if you just
find plants and fish that will thrive in the water you have coming out of
the tap. Don't make this harder than it has to be.

Tom