Re: CO2 regulators & heating cables

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Shawn Prescott wrote:

> The purpose of a cable heater is to bring constantly , new water full of the
> needful nutrients to the roots of the plants, therefore if one uses it with
> a thermostat, so that it can be in the "off" position about half the time,
> then no new nourishment is obtained during this time.

I seem to recall that it was George Booth who originated the idea that
heating cables would set up currents in the substrate and thus transport
nutrients from the water column to the roots.

I also recall George saying that he doesn't have empirical data to support
that theory.  Shawn, have you completed experiments to prove this happens
in a typical tank setup?  If so I'm interested in learning about the
turnover rates you measured and the methods you used to measure them.

Roger Miller