RE: Dana Riddle Article - October FAMA

> I just read the Dana Riddle article on how Eggcrate can increase the
> > lighting in a tank by 25%
> <snip>
> > Anyone have any experience with this or have any
> > thoughts?

I've found lime and other buildup on my glass tops
that do decrease light into the tank.  My glass tops
get really hot, too (from the lights).  I've shifted to
open top tanks, or eggcrate tops on the tanks with
fish that are depressed and may want to jump.

I didn't like the metallic-coated eggcrate (it chips),
but the regular eggcrate is nice (it still gets brittle
when it's old).  My evaporation is as high as no
top (and it's arid out here), but the light fixture goes
right on it (fluorescent, I don't have MH), and it gives
me the benefit that I can cut "holes" in the top for
rooting terrestrial plants in my tanks (this is a
really nice effect.)

I've gotten used to the evaporation.  Since it's harder
to cool the tank than heat it, I accept the constant
evaporation, and it may be better in the Summer
anyway.

Yes, I think the 25% increase is real.  If you are
bad about cleaning the glass top (I know I am),
I think it's actually more than that.  ;-))

--charley