hardness shock for plants??

With all this discussion on pH shock for fish, I thought I would throw in a
bit of a twist.  What about hardness shock for plants?  An article in FAMA a
few years back stated plants can be shocked by changes in the hardness of
the water they are placed, and that the "shock" could be mitigated against
by slowly introducing the plants to the new environment – sounds
suspiciously similar to floating fish.  The statement was not made toward
one type, or family, of plants.  Do you think this is correct, or could it
be the excrement I suspect it is?