[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: pH hogwash?

> Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 07:44:29 -0600 (MDT)
> From: George Booth <booth at lvld_agilent.com>
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #555 <--- You gotta be kidding!
> > Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:44:54 -0400
> > From: Bob Ashcraft <bashcraft at brashearlp_com>
> > Subject: Re: pH hogwash?
> > 
> > I have expressed my opinions on other boards about pH shock being a
> > myth, and was flamed to the point where I just gave up.  
> What would be the symptoms of "pH shock", if there were such a thing? 

Virtually indistinguishable from osmotic pressure damage, usually
(tds-change shock). ;-)

It can also resemble nitrite toxicity if change is to a low pH or ammonia
burns to the skin and gills, if going to high pH (if those common tank
contaminants should happen to be present). <g>

To be slightly serious, the scenario usually goes: water changed, fish show
distress (or die), pH found to be different, so "post hoc, ergo propter

The most common form of distress symptom that gets attributed to "pH shock"
is lethargy, fins clamped, gasping at the surface, and/or rapid
"respiration," often followed by death.

The three things mentioned above can all cause serious skin and gill damage,
and produce the symptoms. [Heavy-metal symptoms that I have seen (due to
long-term low pH and lead plant anchors) involved dashing into the glass,
crazy swimming patterns and general neurological-destruction type


Wright Huntley, Fremont CA, USA, 510 494-8679  huntleyone at home dot com

          If it ain't broke, don't fix it -- and, especially,
            don't let politicians fix it. ... Thomas Sowell

               *** http://www.self-gov.org/index.html ***