[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: pH hogwash?

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000 George Booth wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:44:54 -0400
> > From: Bob Ashcraft <bashcraft at brashearlp_com>
> > Subject: Re: pH hogwash?
> >
> > I have expressed my opinions on other boards about pH shock being a
> > myth, and was flamed to the point where I just gave up.
> What would be the symptoms of "pH shock", if there were such a thing?
> George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
>   http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts

Personally, I've never witnessed symptoms that I would attribute to "pH
shock", even when moving fish between tanks that I knew had a large pH

The following are quotes from replies I received when I expressed my
personal opinion on the subject:

"A .4 pH difference would be almost certain death. If not right away
then after a little time."

"A difference of more than 0.4 could cause pH shock and even death
within 48 hours if
acclimated too quickly. You should acclimate for about 1 hour for every
tenth of a point difference in pH you suspect may be possible (i.e. 8.0
pH to 7.0 pH should take 10 hours)."

If I were to accept this as being even close to accurate, my fish should
all be dead.

Bob Ashcraft
Pittsburgh, PA