Re: Size of market

To follow up on Dave's point, I spoke with Claus about Tropica's marketing
strategy and their market penetration in the various countries where it
sells its plants.  Claus told me that Tropica's goal was to gain 20% market
share in any given market.  They believe that this would equate with the
hobbyists that would be willing to pay their prices.  They realize their
plants are expensive.

I think that Dave's 3000 planted tank suggestion is pretty close.  Although
it may seem to us on the APD that the US is a large market, it really isn't
when it comes to aquarium plant hobbyists.  Therefore, based on market share
numbers, Tropica would have occasional sales to about 600 people nationwide.
  This does not take into account the very strong opposition of the US
growers.  In any event, this doesn't make much business sense for Tropica.

Anyway, I am solely responsible for the accuracy of the above statements.  I
recalled them from a conversation with Claus (Director of Tropica) many
years ago.  Happened just before I and Doug got him lost in the Tampa
airport.  But that is another story...  :-)

Regards,

Art Giacosa