Re: Do razor blades scratch tank walls?

> Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 19:11:10 -0400
> From: "Gitte" <heinesen at bigfoot_com>
>
> I am wondering whether this is a good idea - - does it
> scratch the glass?

A clean razor blade will not scratch the glass. However, if it begins to rust it
will. Dry it after every use and check the edge every so often for rust.

> Also, is there some kind of "safe" holder for these razor blades?  I am
> feeling that it's a bit dangerous, especially in tight corners behind
> plants, where I can't see what I'm doing.  I do need to clean those corners,
> because that side of the tank is visible from another side.

A better alternative is to use "snap-off utility knife blades". These can be
found at most hardware stores. A snap-off blade is about 6" long and can be
broken into maybe 6 pieces. In use, when the end is dull, snap it off and you
have a fresh end to work with. For cleaning glass, use the whole thing. It's
much wider than a razor blade!

I use these with a wooden holder. Get a piece of wood molding, 1/2" x 1/2", and
make a thin, deep groove in one face and insert the whole snap-off blade in the
groove. If you are clever, you can space the end of the blade in a bit from the
end of the wood - this keeps you from scraping off the silicon sealer at the
tank corners.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts