Driftwood and Tannin...

Hi All,

I finally got my driftwood, gravel, and rocks in place. What a soup... The
fluorite was amazingly dirty and took at least a dozen rinses to get
anywhere near clear. It is still settling. The bummer is that when I bought
my driftwood I somehow got the impression that it had been in water already
so that it would have leached out the tannins or what ever else needs to
dissipate. Not true. My tank now looks like strong tea and I have already
buried the slate base under 3 to 4 inches of Fluorite. I do not have plants
or critters in the tank yet. Can I just let it leach in place and then
change the water a couple of times? Can I add plants after a couple of
changes? Should I drop a bag of charcoal in my sump for a couple of weeks...

Thanks for any tips,

Paul Mouritsen

Washington, DC

           Paul Mouritsen.....mourip @ erols.com

     If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans...

Spammers, here are some email addresses for your spambots:
itumail at itu_int  fccinfo at fcc_gov  info at crtc_gc.ca  privacy at aca_gov.au
pci at private-citizen_com  prc at privacyrights_org  pi at privacy_org
info at epic_org  comments at cauce_org $LOGIN@localhost  $LOGNAME@localhost
$USER@localhost
$USER@$HOST -h1024@localhost root at mailloop_com admin@loopback uce at ftc_gov
sweep.day at accc_gov.au fraudinfo at psinet_com a at w_com
uce at ftc_gov
afried at nocs_insp.irs.gov
net-abuse at nocs_insp.irs.gov
news.admin.net-abuse.usenet