Re: wine yeast

> Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:51:18 EDT
> From: Biplane10 at aol_com
> Subject: Re: wine yeast
>
> >   The stuff I have at home says it's "food grade urea" and something
> >  else. Basically, yeast fertilizer. If you add enough yeast, then the
> >  dead yeast will provide the nutrients.
> This brings me back to a post I read several months ago. The author detailed
> out how yeast should be prepared to prevent bacterial contamination, etc.,
> which will kill the bottle. I recall reading that if there was any collected
> stuff in the bottom, the bottle's a goner. I took this to mean that you don't
> want any dying yeast in there--once they die and you have contamination,
> forget it.

	Uh, that's not a problem I'd worry about with CO2 generation.
In brewing, the sediment (which has a specific name I can't remember
right now) can cause off-flavors and odors if the ferment is left on
it too long. With beer, you're talking about weeks. With wine, you're
talking about months. Also, beer and wine has a lot more in it than
water, sugar, and yeast -- proteins, longer sugars, starches, and
all the chemicals the plants had in their fruits.

	You can't avoid some of the yeast dying; it happens, for
whatever reason. As long as CO2 is coming off the mixture, there's
healthy yeast living, eating, and reproducing in there. When the
fermentation stops, it means that either the food supply's been
exhausted or the waste (alcohol) has reached an unhealthy level for
the yeast.

--
						crawford at iac_net