Re: wine yeast

> Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 14:36:22 EDT
> From: Biplane10 at aol_com
> Subject: wine yeast
>
> Now here's a baffler. There must have been 10 different types of wine yeast.
> I mentioned alcohol tolerance as a plus, and the store owner recommended
> *Montrachet* as a good yeast to try. I picked up a few packets, but maybe
> somebody's already been through this and has a better recommendation?

	I believe Montrachet and Champagne yeast tolerate the highest
levels of alcohol. Montrachet is (again, I think, it's been a while)
easier to get going and keep going.

> I was also happy to finally find yeast nutrient. They also had a product
> called *yeast energizer*. When I asked about the ingredients of both, he told
> me the yeast energizer was vitamin B12 (which I have in liquid form at home,
> so I passed on it), for reluctant yeast colonies. He couldn't help with the
> yeast nutrient. I'm curious as to what this is?

	The stuff I have at home says it's "food grade urea" and something
else. Basically, yeast fertilizer. If you add enough yeast, then the
dead yeast will provide the nutrients.

> I'm wondering if the activity of the yeast will be similar to the baking
> yeast, in that it will reach maximum within hours after mixing up, and
> maintain or subside a bit (hopefully not as much as the baking yeast!).

	That's been my experience with beer and wine yeast -- there's a
lull, then a great deal of gas generation, then a period of slower
activity with steady production.

> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm so tired of coddling these yeast
> bottles, they actually take greater maintenance/time than my aquariums if you
> can believe it.

	I can believe it. I'm going through the same thing.

--
						crawford at iac_net