Re: The go ahead (acceptable forms of potassium and magnesium)

Sean,

Why reinvent the wheel? (Though I often try. . .) I've often read on list
about the use of salt substitutes for potassium addition (potassium
chloride?), as well as some stump removers--i.e. potassium nitrate  (which
would also add additional, maybe unnecessary, nitrate). I've looked at the
salt substitutes, but I'm always bothered by those other ingredients on the
labels.

I've had problems with trying to add anything in tablet form. As far as
gluconate-- I recall someone had a minor catastrophe on their hands with the
(over?)use of some gluconate added to the water. I have a liquid potassium,
in the form of aspartate and citrate, which I've used with no seemingly
negative consequences. For magnesium, rather than using epsom salts, I recall
using milk of magnesia for a while, since I was reluctant to add the sodium.
No severe fish consequences, other than relief of minor constipation.

:-)

Fortunately, lately, I haven't had to worry about too much nutrient addition,
as the water source they use in summer/fall seems to be much more conducive
to plant growth. I get by with Flourish and now and then, Plant Gro.

Bear in mind that you're working with a small aquarium. Start with small
amounts of anything.

Anybody have any comments on the potassium aspartate, citrate & milk of
magnesia?

Sylvia