Re: CO2 Regulation, Bombast and Shame

<< I don't consider this thread shameful at all. I consider it lively and
 interesting. I wouldn't get so bent out of shape over people aggressively
 defending their point of view. >>

Aggressive? Well, that's one adjective I would not use to describe it.  These
*experts* who claim not to be experts on CO2 (interesting -- but they all
said that somewhere along the line) have elevated an essentially simple and
straightforward issue and clouded it and distorted reality for their own
vested reasons.  List members had expressed concern of CO2 cylinders possibly
exploding,  leaking CO2 into the living room   (Do you have any concept how
much CO2 would have to leak into  the average room to cause a health risk?
It is NOT Carbon Monoxide fellows) etc., fish kills, silent uncontrolled gas
dumps etc. Scare tactics. It's not rocket science.

And they also denigrated weighing the gas cylinder  (well dismissed it) when
the suggestion of the welding guy was offered.  Not to avoid a gas dump but,
simply as a way to gauge when the cylinder was nearing empty so I could get a
replacement cylinder so I would not run out when the shop was closed on a
weekend or a holiday. Cripes. That is just about as low tech as you can get.
Weigh it when it's full with regulator on and gas line in place, ( make note
of it)  and weight it weekly or monthly or whenever, and when it's nearing
empty shut it down and get a refill!!!! How complicated is that?

And look . Another commercial vendor said on this list on this subject
referring to the Bioplast regulator  in words to the effect ** Well it looks
like a low pressure regulator..... and it's made in Germany.** It could be
made on the moon for all I know. What the hell difference does it make where
it's made other than thread compatibility because we Americans are back in
the stone age when it comes to converting over to the metric system which
should have been completed 10 - years ago.  By these comments this fellow
implies that this particular CO2 regulator system is crap.  My only question
is if he thinks it's crap (or second rate and or not safe) why is he selling
it in the first place?

BTW I'm still waiting for  a response to the gauge calibration question
posed insofar as how one defines high and low gas pressure systems, and the
manner in which these gauges are calibrated and marked. Like how can WE the
unwashed tell by looking at a CO2 regulator if it is a high or low pressure
one? Or is this a feeling on gets  as an expert?

Gas comes out of the cylinder at one pressure as measured by the first gauge.
Then through some act of magic it gets stepped down to it's working pressure
as measured by the second gauge which has a control knob to adjust said
working pressure.  The output is then  regulated in a more precise manner
with a metering  or needle valve.  The gas is fed into a bubble chamber where
said needle valve can adjust the bubbles per second. The gas is then tubed
into a reactor or disfusser and injected into the aquarium. This sounds to me
like a two gauge, two phase regulator system. It works. It does not seem to
dump  I have to use the term *seem* because some obsessive - compulsive
would probably come along and smirk * well it could possibly*. Sure just
about any thing could possibly to anyone or anything.)

I have NO problem with anyone aggressively expousing his or her position,
opinion or whatever. However common decency and civility used to be the norm
in this society. I guess that's changed. So in one way this lack of respect
could be simply one manifestation of this perceived trend.

So there. I have tried to be polite and civil while aggressively outlining my
personal views.

David Napierkowski