Positioning Driftwood...

Hi,

I am setting up the decorative elements of my tank and have a question
about positioning and placing driftwood. I have two pieces which are
mounted on slate bases. My question is do I put the slate at the bottom of
the tank on the glass or on top of some amount of gravel. If I put it at
the bottom it will be secure and I can plant right up against the wood
where it emerges from the gravel but it will sink the whole thing by 3 to 4
inches. If I "float" the base it will be a little less stable and I may be
limited for planting near it... also I wonder if I would get dead spots
under the slate.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Paul Mouritsen

mourip @ erols . com