re: CO2 regulators and slowing flow in Fluval MSF

George Booth:
I certainly think a probe could fail suddenly. I have not experienced this
yet. I ruined a probe by doing some work in the tank and dropped the water
level below the probe and it dried out for several hours. Couldn't calibrate
the meter after this and had to replace the probe. My fault. Should have kept
it wet like the instructions stated. I guess that several factors come into
play re: the safety margin you would have if your regulator kept pumping gas
into the tank: If your tank is well covered or not. Mine is open, so I guess
some exess CO2 could escape if there was too much. Surface turbulence. Both
my canisters create surface turbulence, so this may off gas as well. Method
of injection. I inject into the intake hose of my Eheim 2217. Works well, but
maybe not as efficient as your Dupla reactor. I like it because it is one
less thing to look at in the tank (unless you use a sump).

I consider the chance of things like a CO2 dump or probe failure one of the
inherent risks of keeping the types of tanks we do. The same thing as the
continuous risk of a tank splitting a seam  (glass, at least). Comes with the
territory.

Jared W:
Thanks for the post regarding the gunk buildup in the Fluval MSF valve. I
cleaned mine out tonight and disconnected the valve from the tubing. Sure
enough there was a plug of gunk the size of a coton ball clogging the in side
of the valve. Cleaned it out and replaced the floss. It is running very
strong now.

Dave