CO2 miscellany

At 03:48 PM 9/6/00 -0400, Ivo wrote:
>I thought of another way of avoiding the gas dump. Or, better said, avoid its
>ill effects on the fish. This only applies to sump-based systems. The idea is
>to place the diffuser in the sump. The diffuser could be placed near the
>return pump intake, such that, when it is working under normal conditions,
>the tiny bubbles are sucked by the pump. If there is a suden release of gas,
>most of it will bubble out of the sump and doesn't get sucked into the main
>tank. Does this makes sense ?

Sounds good to me.

James Purchase asked:
Dave Gomberg wrote:
>"3.  Get a regulator that does not dump when the tank empties  (I am working
>on trying to find these)   OR
>4.  Include a simple pressure relief device in your system  "
>Dave, could you elaborate a bit on these two points, please? What should a
>hobbyist look for in the specs of a regulator which would indicate that it
>won't "dump" when the cylinder is close to empty? Is a "two-stage" regulator
>better for this than a "single-stage" one?

I have yet to find a company that makes two-stage regulators (one regulator
feeding another).   Usually folks are talking about two GAUGE regulators,
heck you can put 100 gauges on a regulator, they won't affect its function,
only measure it.  In reply, James said he had found one but I could not get
their web page to display.

There are charts that SOME manufacturers have that show how input pressure
affects output pressure at a constant setting.  You want a regulator whose
output pressure doesn't rise much as the input pressure drops.   I am
working on making a deal for same as we speak.

--
NEW Planted Aquaria Magazine:        http://www.wcf.com/pam