[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Lower pH when adding hard water nutrients to soft water
- To: Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com
- Subject: Re: Lower pH when adding hard water nutrients to soft water
- From: "Roger S. Miller" <rgrmill at rt66_com>
- Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 20:40:04 -0600 (MDT)
- In-Reply-To: <200009060113.VAA00101 at actwin_com>
On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Sylvia wrote:
> Do some of the filter media and/or water additives available add to this
> problem? I know that AP makes a water softener pillow which reduces GH, but I
> think it exchanges sodium ions for calcium and magnesium ions. Doesn't seem
> like it would necessarily be desirable over the long term for this reason. ??
Products that exchange sodium for calcium, magnesium or ammonium will
cause a small increase in the salt content. I don't know about the other
products you mention.
In any case, the effect would be small.