RE: Low-Maintenance Classroom 55-gallon

Hi Marcus!

I, too, want to set up classroom aquariums that are low maintance. Over the
summer holidays, I did a low maintenance tank at home.  I plan to duplicate
it at school, with the help of the children. I will have a grade 5/6 class
and they always see to be really enthusiastic about it.

We are going to do 1 or 2 low maintenance 10 -20 gallon aquariums.

I tried one out over the summer holidays at home. I used a lot of the
principles of "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" by Diana Walstad. The
classroom will be set up the same way.  I'm a relative Newbie and the
experts haven't really taken a look to tell me if I'm doing it right, so you
be the judge!  Who knew that potting soil would help aquarium plants?!! :)
The only thing missing from my aquarium is a pair of Florida Flag Fish to
eat the current crop of hair algae because the SAE, Ottos and Shrimp need
some help...

http://members.home.net/grantmiller/aquariums/windowsill/window.html

I hope to hear more about your tank and experiences off line or in the APD!
Maybe you could post it to the web, like I will in late September or
October:

http://maplegrove.vsb.bc.ca/divisions/div5/aquarium.htm (Isn't it nice to be
a webmaster too? :))

Grant Miller