Re: Can tinted films make cheap lights visually pleasing?

PacosBilly at aol_com wrote:

> David,
>     I believe that you are trying to shift   the color spectrum for your
> favor, however I think that would require energy, the laws of physics would
> dictate that without any energy change taking place, there could not be
> different wavelengths? This based on the idea that all chemicals give out a
> spectral signal, and that there is no way to make one chemical shine in a
> different specturm, you can block out certain frequencies, however the bulb's
> phosphors would have to make different leaps to higher frequency (similar to
> how water will evaporate, i.e. the highest energy particles move into the
> air, and only the lesser energy molecules are left in the dish, hence making
> the water cooler, i.e. evaporation). In this sense though, energy is going
> the other way, into the phosphors, making them leap to a higher quantum
> state, and eventually fall back down (that is what light is, the energy given
> off from electrons jumping to the next rings of the moleclue) Chemistry
> people? Am I far off base?  I know chemistry always brings out the flames, so
> lemme just say I'm trying to throw stuff out for discussion. I guess Ivo is
> the groups authority on lighting as I've seen, Ivo, any comments? Thanks, Bill

You are basically right in the sense that, if the ligth bulb does not emit
at a given wavelength band, no filter will "create ligth from nothing" at
that same wavelength band. A filter works by absorbing existing light, and
only a broad-band full-spectrum source such as a incandescent of full-spectrum
fluorescent bulb could be filtered to get its spectrum reshaped in any useful
way. That would come with a high toll on the _level_ of the resulting ligth
though.

And thanks for the "authority", but I'm just another hobbyst that learns
way more than gives back at this list ...

- Ivo Busko
  Baltimore, MD