Re: oxygen deficiency

Chuck Gadd wrote: <<I think with fast plant growth (via CO2 injection, high
lighting, and lots of plants), that the plants can supply more than enough
O2 to make it thru the night without problems, even at high altitude.>>

Not in our case. We have a heavily stocked, heavily planted 135 gal with
commercial CO2 and PC lighting. In the afternoon we generally have nice
pearling, which indicates (super)saturated O2 levels. This is confirmed by
our LaMotte O2 kit, which sometimes shows a max of > 9 ppm O2. As our angel
fish grew in size, the available oxygen was simply not enough to get the
fish through the night -- a.m. O2 levels were sometimes dangerously low
with the fish in distress. Of course it will also depend on your fish load
and species/number of plants. The min. O2 level tollerated varies species
to species, but it's a good idea not to go much below a low of 3 ppm O2.
Running airstones from about midnight to 8 a.m. necessitated only a slight
increase in our CO2 bubble rate to make up for the nighttime CO2 loss. Our
fish seem much better in the morning and they sent us a thank-you teleogram.

I've seen an estimate that the bioload of an adult angelfish is equivalent
to about that of ten cardinals. Looking at the sizes of our angels and
cardinals, which are over one year old, I would guestimate it's at least 10
to one.

Jared

Planted-Tank Resource Page:
http://www.knology.net/~jweinberger/aquarium/info.htm
Jared Weinberger                    jweinberger at knology_net
______    http://www.knology.net/~jweinberger/     ________